I’ve always had a bit of a passion for cooking. I wouldn’t say my tastes are necessarily refined, but I tried to follow the fancy Pinterest recipes to the best of my ability. I’ve only been at site for a few months now but cooking has already taken on a life of its own, as I’m often challenged to make delicious meals with very limited resources in my pueblo. As groceries start to diminish after a week or so, I start to think of really creative ways to cook with only a few fresh ingredients or what’s available at my tienda.
Veggie Hummus Wrap
Ingredients: hummus, whole-wheat tortilla, assorted veggies (eggplant, bell pepper, avocado, zucchini, onion, etc)
- Use the roasted garlic hummus (listed below) and whatever veggies you can scrap together
- Sauté sliced eggplant and zucchini together with olive oil, salt and pepper, and Italian herbs for about five minutes until cooked through
- Spread hummus on tortilla with avocado, onion, and bell pepper slices followed by eggplant and zucchini.
- Fold up like a burrito and enjoy!
Caramelized Onion and Yogurt Pasta
Ingredients: 1 small container of Greek yogurt, 1 large white onion, olive oil, salt and pepper, parmesan, pasta
- Slice onion and sauté on low heat in olive oil until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes – seasoning with salt throughout
- Cook pasta and reserve about ½ cup of pasta water
- Heat Greek yogurt over low heat and slowly add in pasta water a spoonful at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pour sauce over pasta and top with caramelized onions and parmesan cheese.
Caprese Garlic Toast
Ingredients: baguette, garlic, olive oil, mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar, sugar
- Find a baguette somewhere
- Slice the bread and spread minced garlic, drizzle in olive oil, and sliced mozzarella on
- Put in the oven for 10-15 minutes at around 175 degrees Celsius
- Pour balsamic vinegar into a saucepan with a spoonful of sugar, bring to a boil then let simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes
- Take bread out of the oven and place basil leaves on top followed by sliced tomatoes
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and balsamic reduction
Carrot Mango Turmeric Tonic
Ingredients: 1 carrot peeled and chopped, 1 orange (peeled), 2 small mangos, 1 inch piece of ginger grated, 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric, 2 cups of coconut water or filtered water
- Combine ingredients in a blender and blend for 60-90 seconds until smooth.
- You can then put the mixture through a strainer or drink it with all the fibrous pulp
Quinoa Eggplant Parmesan (sautéed eggplant & bell pepper and eggplant mozzarella quesadillas are also great options with eggplant!)
Ingredients: one small eggplant sliced into ¼ inch rounds, ½ cup flour, 1 egg, 1 cup cooked quinoa, parmesan cheese, 1 jar of marinara sauce, Italian herbs, garlic salt, pepper
- Place flour, egg, and cooked quinoa in 3 shallow bowls/plates.
- Season quinoa with herbs, garlic salt, and pepper
- With each eggplant round: cover in flour first, then egg wash and then pat quinoa around it
- Fry eggplant in a saucepan with olive oil on low heat for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove eggplant and pat dry with paper towels
- Top with marinara sauce and parmesan cheese
Lemony Tuna Tomato & Capers Pasta
Ingredients: one can of tuna, 2 limes, 2 tomatoes, 1 white onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 3 spoonfuls of capers, pasta, olive oil, Italian herbs, salt and pepper
- Sauté garlic and sliced onions in olive oil for about 10-15 minutes
- Add diced tomatoes and seasonings and sauté for about 7 more minutes
- Add capers, lime juice, and tuna and sauté for 2 more minutes to heat
- Serve over pasta
‘Roasted’ Garlic Hummus
Ingredients: 6 cloves of garlic, 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans, 2 limes, ¼ cup of olive oil, ½ tablespoon cumin, ½ tablespoon paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- Since many of us don’t have ovens, a quicker way to get ‘roasted garlic’ is just to sauté them until soft, about 5 minutes on low heat
- Combine ingredients in blender and slowly add water until you get the desired consistency. Add seasonings to taste.
- Spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with olive oil and paprika.